|Study location||Lithuania, Kaunas|
|Nominal duration||2 years (120 ECTS)|
|Awards||MSc (Master of Technological Sciences)|
|Tuition fee||€4,916 per year
*KTU offers partial tuition fee waivers for the candidates with outstanding results
|Application fee||€100 one-time
Payable within 2 weeks from the application submission by transferring it to the KTU bank account. Non-refundable. Bank details will be provided during application.
Undergraduate diploma (or higher)
• a university Bachelor’s degree(min. length – 180 ECTS) in chemical engineering with food/nutrition specialisation with a good average grade (min. CGPA>60%),
• motivation (skype interview),
• proficiency in English: IELTS ≥6.0, TOEFL ≥85, CEFR ≥C1, GRE, IESOL C1 or equivalent.
The entry qualification documents are accepted in the following languages: English / Russian.
The documents must be legalised (Apostille)by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the country where the documents were issued. This requirement does not apply for the documents issued in the EU and Belarus, Ukraine.
You must take verified copies of the entry qualification documents along with you when you finally go to the university.
The accepted student must bring all notary verified documents which were submitted during the application as well as their originals upon arrival or send before:
International Studies Office
You will also need Police Clearance Certificate (non-criminal record) from all countries you have lived before arriving to Lithuania for more than 6 months. We recommend to take Police Clearance Certificate not earlier than 1 month before departure.
or Graduate Record Examinations (GRE) standardised admission test.
If your previous studies have been fully in English and it is marked on your degree certificate or transcript, or noted in a confirmation from the school which confirms that your studies have been fully in English language, additional English test may not be required.
If an applicant does not have any official test, online examination may be organised by KTU.
KTU master’s in Food Science and Safety are the only postgraduate studies in the Baltic States that have been awarded the international EQAS-Food Label quality label. These studies will set you on a highway leading to the exciting places in a European job market or, should you choose so, to a brilliant research career. MSc Food Science and Safety study programme educates smart food science and safety professionals, focusing on future food technologies with the emphasis on the bio-economy and functionality.
This programme has been developed to educate wide profile food science specialists both for the food industry and the companies conducting food products’ research. Our students learn the theory, methods and technology behind the development of new products enriched by advanced natural antioxidants, antimicrobial substances, they acquire the skills needed for analysing rheological characteristics and texture of various components. During your studies, you will learn the skills and competencies needed to lead interdisciplinary projects and will be educated on food production safety and quality management.
After graduation, you will be able to conduct food innovation groups or even build your own business. Your education will allow you to become an influential speaker able to form public opinion in the fields of food science, safety, technology and nutrition.
• Access to the four unique semi-industrial food technology lines (bread, beer, meat, fish, dairy products) at the Lithuanian Food Science and Technology Competence Centre at KTU
• Possibility to join internationally renowned food science research groups
• A unique to Lithuania MA+ study model allows students either to aim for excellence in a chosen speciality field or to strengthen their interdisciplinary competencies by choosing different elective study paths
Top reasons to study at KTU:
1. KTU research in food science has been recognised internationally driven by the leading professors G. Juodeikienė, R. Ventskutonis and D. Leskauskaitė.
2. The first and most modern Food Science and Technology Competence Centre in Lithuania is active at KTU since 2010; four unique semi-industrial lines of food technologies (bread, beer, meat, fish, dairy products) are installed at the centre.
3. Master+ model offers either to masterpiece in the specialisation or to strengthen managerial/interdisciplinary skills by choosing individual set of competencies required for career.
- At 1 September 2022 the title of the study programme will be changed from ” Food Science and Safety” to “Food Science and Nutrition”.
Management of food safety and quality
Management of food safety and quality
Food safety and toxicology
Food safety legislation
Development of new food products and technologies
Development of new food products
New processing methods for food products
Knowledge about composition of food products
Higher chemistry in food
Ability to plan work, make conclusions and summarize the achieved results
Graduates are easily employed by the companies of food industry or the institutions related to research of food products
Employers value the programme’s graduates, because they are able to rapidly find solutions to the problems arising during production and product control.
“Our company sells its production in Lithuania and exports it to more than 35 countries. According to the requirements of the introduced food safety standard (BRC), we have to supply food products in compliance with the requirements for food safety at the market that they are placed on and other requirements. It requires combination of technologies and knowledge of food safety, taking into consideration all possible risk factors and legal requirements of the market. Food Science and Safety study programme is very useful both for the specialists and for their employers.” – Gediminas Krutulis, UAB “Naujasis Nevėžis”, Director.
_“Unequivocally, Food Science and Safety study programme was the right choice for me. This study programme provided exclusive chemical knowledge of the components of food products, their characteristics and changes during processing. All material acquired during the lectures and collected library is applied in daily production context. It should be mentioned, that this study programme involves lectures of food safety and quality systems, which we successfully (“by the book”) introduced in our new production.
Knowledge, acquired during Master degree studies, learned correct work principles and consolidated ability to make conclusions and summarize the achieved results contributed to rapid and successful employment at the successful company of food industry.”_ – Ignas Mackėla, AB “Amilina” (Roquette group), Senior Technologist.